Dental patients of today don’t just want to maintain good oral health, but also desire a beautiful smile. Porcelain crowns have answered this need for both beauty and function in a dental restoration. They have the durable functionality of crowns while looking very natural for your smile. Porcelain crowns are able to mimic the natural look of your teeth; hence, they have become a widely preferred option for dental crowns.
While porcelain crowns are durable restorations, they are not entirely indestructible. Therefore, leading Kissimmee dentist, Dr. Philip, shares several dos and don’ts about porcelain crown maintenance. Let these tips help you prolong the lifespan of your porcelain crowns.
- Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth every day. You have to bear in mind that crowns are bonded over natural teeth, which are still vulnerable to decay. You have to keep your teeth healthy so that bacteria doesn’t settle on any tooth surface. Healthy teeth and gums serve as a good foundation for your porcelain crowns.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months. Regular checkups are important, so that the dentist will see any signs of decay or damage, and then act upon it right away. Preventive care is always a plus.
- Do wear a custom-fitted mouth/bite guard if you bite or clench your teeth often. This device will protect both the porcelain crown and your teeth. Studies have shown that teeth clenching or grinding is one of the common reasons why dental crowns get damaged.
- Choose a dentist who is experienced in porcelain crown restorations. Another reason why crowns fail is due to poor placement. Carefully choosing your dental crown provider is, therefore, a very important factor, to ensure that your porcelain crown lasts as long as possible. In Kissimmee, FL, Dr. Philip is a trusted, experienced dentist for porcelain crowns and many other dental treatments.
- Don’t use your teeth to open bottles or plastic packaging. This will put extreme pressure on your teeth, and can eventually damage your porcelain crown.
- Don’t bite your fingernails or pencil tips. Some people have the tendency to do these actions when they’re nervous. If you have a habit of biting your fingernails, try to divert your attention. Dab strong perfume on your wrists, so that the smell will alert you to avoid biting your fingernails.
- Don’t chew ice in your drinks, or bite your candy when you’re almost done with it. Again, these habits will put pressure on your dental restorations. Your porcelain crown will wear and tear fast if you constantly bite on hard food or objects.
For Quality Porcelain Crowns in Kissimmee, FL, Visit Us at Parkway Dental Care
We take pride in having Dr. Philip with us. He is a trusted, well-respected family and cosmetic dentist in Kissimme, FL. Dr. Philip is one of the reasons why our practice has many loyal patients over the years. Contact us today to meet Dr. Philip in person, and experience our way of providing you and your family gentle, caring dentistry.
Photo Credit: Wikimedia